AUDITIONING FOR WIND ENSEMBLE
Auditions occur the
Wind Ensemble is a fast-paced music performance course at KHS for 10th, 11th, and 12th graders. This group plays advanced wind band literature and students are held to a high level of musicianship. We rehearse every other day for 80-minutes during school for 1 Honors credit. The Wind Ensemble performs three concerts, three parades, and at three home football games during the school year. Private instruction is not required, but it is highly recommended.
Four audition components:
1. Students will play a piece of music or etude of their choosing that best showcases their musical ability. A fast/technical passage and slow/lyrical section would be best to show artistic range. Music should not be current band literature.
2. Major scale over the range of the instrument of the student choosing
3. Articulation exercise lead by Mr. Potvin
4. Short sight-reading example
Acceptance is based on the following criteria:
· Instrument technique (posture, hand placement embouchure/grip, breath support, etc)
· Tone quality
· Articulation clarity
· Music literacy (being able to read, notes, rhythms, and music symbols on the page)
All students will be notified by letter of band placement no later than two weeks after the audition. Students who are not accepted are encouraged to work on weaknesses and audition again next spring.