AUDITIONING FOR WIND ENSEMBLE
Wind Ensemble is a fast-paced music performance course at KHS. This group plays advanced wind band literature and students are held to a high level of musicianship. We rehearse every other day for 80-minutes during school for 1 Honors credit. The Wind Ensemble performs three concerts, three parades, and at three home football games during the school year. Private instruction is not required, but it is highly recommended.
Four audition components:
1. A piece of music or etude of their choosing that best showcases their musical ability. A fast/technical passage and slow/lyrical section would be best to show artistic range. Music cannot be band literature.
2. Major scales (4 sharps & 4 flats). Do not need to be memorized.
3. Articulation/musical memory exercise lead by Mr. Potvin
4. Short rhythmic and melodic sight-reading examples
Acceptance is based on the following criteria:
· Instrument technique (posture, hand placement embouchure/grip, breath support, etc)
· Tone quality
· Articulation clarity
· Music literacy (being able to read, notes, rhythms, and music symbols on the page)
All students will be notified by letter of band placement no later than two weeks after the audition. Students who are not accepted are encouraged to work on weaknesses and audition again next spring.