Instructor: Benjamin Potvin
Phone: (207) 985-1110 X2108
Fax: (207) 985-1350
Tuesday after school
or any day by appointment
1. IB Music I & II SL
2. Acting Styles/All About Theatre
3. IB Music II SL
1. Wind Ensemble
2. Guitar Lab
4. Concert Band
I. Course Description:
Improvisation is a semester (1/2 Arts credit) course that provides an introduction to theatre through improv performance. 'All About Theatre' is a prerequisite for this course.
II. Educational Objectives:
III.Textbook and Materials:
Lined paper, pens/pencils
IV. Responsibility and Expectations:
1. Respect all individuals, opinions and abilities
2. Listen when another student or the teacher is speaking (i.e. no talking or playing out of turn)
3. Be prepared to work during EACH class day
4. While in class, a student will only do 'Improvisation' work and not work for another class
5. No cell phones will be allowed during class
6. Come to class on time with the appropriate materials
When discipline issues arise, the teacher will correct the misbehavior using a three strikes system. If a severe level of discipline arises, Step 3 actions may take place immediately.
2. Teacher/student conference immediately after class
3. Dismissal from class and after school detention to follow
The teacher will also follow the discipline policies of KHS which include phoning home, administrative referral, and as a last resort, a meeting between student, teacher and administrator.
VI. Homework/Late Assignments:
If a student misses school, it is their responsibility to get the assignment from the teacher via e-mail or in person. A student has one class period for every missed class, plus a day, to make up their work.
- Work is due at the beginning of each class.
- Work that is not turned in will be entered as a zero with an 'M' for Missing
- Once work has been turned in, the grade will be changed and the 'M' will change to 'L' for Late.
Work that is not completed after the prescribed final deadline for the quarter will remain a zero.
- Late work will be graded after all other on time assignments have been graded.
- Late work will be graded for full marks, but the Academic Responsibility category will go down 1-5 points, depending on the timeliness.
• The course is graded 0-100 on the three following National Standards:
1. Connecting/Responding (20%)
(Written Work - tests, quizzes, projects)
2. Creating (20%)
(Theatre Process - rehearsal skills & performance checks)
3. Performance (50%)
(Theatre Product - required performances)
4. Academic Responsibility (10%)
Students start with 100 in this category at the beginning of each quarter.
The Academic Responsibility grade will go down for the following:
-Not being prepared for class (missing materials and/or not prepared for discussion/performancel)
-Late work (written work and/or performances)
-Other infringements of the music rehearsal expectations (see Article IV)
1-5 points will be deducted based on the nature of the lack of Academic Responsibility and the reason for the deduction will be noted in the comments.
• Rubrics and further criteria for grading will be passed out well in advance
• School rules for academic integrity and cheating apply.
VIII. Extra Help/Communication:
Students, please see me if you have any problems in class or with certain assignments. I am available after school on Tuesdays, during free blocks, or any other time by appointment.
Parents/Guardians, talk to your child about what is going on in school and encourage them to seek extra help. Students, guardians, and teachers need to keep open communication between school and home if success is to occur. If any concern arises inside or outside of the classroom, please contact me directly.